Family-Based Green Cards
If you have a qualifying U.S. citizen or permanent resident relative, you may be able to apply for your green card based on your
relationship to them.
The relatives which may be sponsored avary depending on whether the sponsor is a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident.
If the sponsor is a U.S. Citizen, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S:
Husband or wife
Unmarried child under 21 years of age
Unmarried son or daughter over 21
Married son or daughter of any age
Brother or sister, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old, or
Parent, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old.
If the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S.:
Husband or wife, or
Unmarried son or daughter of any age.
The McEntee Law Group can assist you with every step of the family-based green card process.
K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa
U.S. citizens are permitted to apply for a K-1 visa for their foreign national fiancé(e).
If you petition for a fiancé(e) visa, you must show that:
- You (the petitioner) are a U.S. citizen.
- You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States.
- You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
- You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:
1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.
After the foreign national arrives on the K-1 visa and after the marriage takes place, we can prepare and file a green card case as the new spouse of a U.S. citizen.
We regularly prepare and file K-1/green card cases and we would be happy to assist you with bringing your fiancé(e) to the States so you can get married.